July 15, 2003
Battle for green heats up
Today saw Baden Cooke shadowing Robbie McEwen at the first intermediate sprint, and at the field sprint, where he was able to come around his fellow Aussie. On the overall today, Cooke lost 1 point to McEwen.
Thursday's stage should be fairly sprinter-friendly (one 3rd-category climb), but Friday is the first individual time trial, and Saturday is the entry to the Pyrenees, so a stage win on Thursday by one of the highly placed sprinters would likely have him in green through the middle of next week. As a result, the sprinters' teams are likely to work hard to keep the field together Thursday.
The current top 7:
- 1) Baden Cooke (FDJeux.com) 140 pts
- 2) Robbie McEwen (Lotto-Domo) 131 pts
- 3) Erik Zabel (Telekom) 112 pts
- 4) Thor Hushovd (Credit Agricole) 107 pts
- 5) Jean-Patrick Nazon (Jean Delatour) 100 pts
- 6) Stuart O'Grady (Credit Agricole) 94 pts
- 6) Luca Paolini (QuickStep) 94 pts