July 15, 2003
Stage 10 : Jakob Piil in a chess match
Jacob Piil of CSC, a Dane, and Italy's Fabio Sacchi of Saeco, broke away from a long breakaway today, and Piil outfoxed Sacchi for the sprint at the line. Sacchi rode much of the last kilometer on Piil's wheel, but Piil dropped his pace and moved over into the (wind) shelter of the crowd, while carefully monitoring Saachi to react to the sprint.
When Saachi went, with about 400 meters to race, Piil jumped on his wheel, and was able to come around in the last 100 meters.
Bram De Groot of Rabobank was third, about :49 back. France's Damien Nazon of Brioches la Boulangere won the sprint between the remainder of the break to come fourth, with Austria's Rene Haselbacher of Gerolsteiner fifth.
Jose Enrique Gutierrez, who led the race for more than 30 km, was 9th, 5:06 back.
With no overall threats in the breakaway, the main field took it relatively easy.
Australia's Baden Cooke of FDJeux.com led in Robbie McEwen of Lotto and Erik Zabel of Telekom in the field sprint 21:23 behind Piil.
1) Piil (CSC) 5:09:33
2) Sacchi (Saeco) same time
3) De Groot (Rabobank) @ :49
4) Damien Nazon (Brioches) @ 2:07
5) Haselbacher (Gerolsteiner) same time
6) Philippe Gaumont (Cofidis) s.t.
7) Serge Baguet (Lotto-Domo) s.t.
8) Vincente Garcia Acosto (iBanesto) s.t.
9) Jose Enrique Gutierrez (Kelme) @ 5:06
10) Baden Cooke (FDJeux.com) @ 21:23
11) Robbie McEwen (Lotto-Como) same time
12) Erik Zabel (Telekom) s.t.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Stage 10 : Jakob Piil in a chess match: