July 10, 2004
Pozzato takes Stage 7
A beautiful tactical finish as 7 men thwarted the sprinters with a late break through the up-and-down streets of Saint-Brieuc.
Filippo Pozzato took the sprint over Francisco Mancebo and Iker Flores. It's Pozzato's first Tour stage win, in his 1st Tour. He's another sign of the generational change that's underway in pro cycling.
Mancebo will move up from 25th to 18th in the GC because of his time bonus, but none of the others are in the overall running. Mancebo is now 43 seconds behind Armstrong, ahead of Jan Ullrich.
O'Grady finished 3 spots up on Robbie McEwen; I'm not sure if that's enough of a difference in bonus points to keep O'Grady in green tomorrow.
1) Pozzato, Fassa Bortolo
2) Iker Flores, Euskaltel-Euskadi
3) Francisco Mancebo, Illes Balears-Banesto
4) Laurent Brochard, AG2R
5) Sebastien Hinault, Credit Agricole
6) Michele Scarponi, Domina Vacanze
7) Paolo Bettini, Quick Step
8) Thor Hushovd, Credit Agricole
9) Scott Sunderland, Alessio-Bianchi
10) Stuart O'Grady, Cofidis
11) Erik Zabel, T-Mobile
12) Tom Boonen, Quick Step
13) Robbie McEwen, Lotto-Domo
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Pozzato takes Stage 7: