« LA by AL | Main | US vs. Them: The tiresome conventional wisdom on Armstrong »

July 27, 2004

Sally Jenkins online chat

washingtonpost.com | Tour de France: Future of Lance Armstrong

Sally Jenkins was Lance Armstrong's co-author on both books. She's also covered the Tour de France for the Washington Post, where she did an online chat yesterday concerning Armstrong, doping, the future of US Postal, Sheryl Crow, Armstrong's kids, and what he'll do next year; all topics that have come up right here over the last few weeks. Jenkins (unsurprisingly, I guess) has no kind words for Greg LeMond.

Here's an excerpt on doping:

Crofton, Md.: Don't you think that Lance Armstrong's run in the Tour de France is more about his impact upon the sport because he really believes that "every second"  does count. It is one heck of a motivator to be told you have the big "C" and your chances to become immortal are really tied to a defining memorable event as opposed to anything else. That is precisely why I do not believe that he uses any drugs - he is afraid of that image being tarnished. Do you agree? - CSP

Sally Jenkins: He once told me, two years out from chemotherapy, how poisoned the cancer and the chemo made him feel, and that he was just starting to feel "clean again." I've never forgotten that, and how seriously he said it. For that reason it's very hard for me to believe he'd put anything dangerous in his body. I've said it before and I'll say it again:
I believe in Lance Armstrong as a man and as an athlete. He beat cancer straight up, fair and square, and I believe he has won six Tours exactly the same way.
Also, I love him as a friend.

Posted by Frank Steele on July 27, 2004 in Doping, Lance Armstrong 2004, Sheryl Crow | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Sally Jenkins online chat:

Comments

i totally agree.

Posted by: kaelen at Jul 28, 2004 12:54:11 AM

I agree with this statement too.

Posted by: Gare at Jul 29, 2004 11:57:20 AM

je veux une femme pour vivre avec moi ,tres sincere, cool

Posted by: joseph nelson at Sep 23, 2004 1:06:45 PM

Do you think Jenkins has even heard of Greg LeMond?Like most American journalists she probably couldn't name 3 pro cyclists or even 3 major races.The typical response from most writers in this country when the subject of whether or not Armstrong is doped is that the French hate him.The other one is that LeMond is jealous.Is Armstrong doped?Of course he is.Think about this.He rode Alpe d'Huez over 10 minutes faster than LeMond and Hinault in 1986.LeMond was 148 lbs in peak form(1986)Armstrong is 165-168 lbs.He weighs nearly 20 lbs more than Lemond.You think he really produces that much more power on a climb NATURALLY?Wake up!I realize technology has changed since the mid 1980's but the improvements are obscene!I'm amazed at how many people defend this guy.I'm American too and it's nice to see an American win but I want to see clean racing.What Armstrong does is fake.Remember,LeMond tried to steer Armstrong away from Michele Ferrari.He was only trying to help Armsrtong.It turns out Armstrong wanted Ferrari's "help"more.

Posted by: Doug at Sep 26, 2004 4:23:31 PM

ESPN.com has a story about the Tour and even though Levi won the stage today in a decisive effort, ESPN says that Cantodor has the Tour wrapped up!! WHAT? 2 riders only 31 seconds behind and a 90 mile ride to go!! I know He and Levi are teammates, so has Discovery Channel already said, "Levi, you had your chance to pass him today, so relax tomorrow?" Is it even worth watching tomorrow, or has this years "TOUR" really already been decided?

Posted by: Robert Harris at Jul 29, 2007 1:44:28 AM