« 'New world cycling'? | Main | Stage 5: 200.5 km Amiens-Chartres »

July 08, 2004

Sheryl Crow at Alpe d'Huez

Someone posted a picture of Sheryl Crow on Alpe d'Huez to rec.bicycles.racing recently. Initially, I didn't think it was for real, but I noticed it's hosted on her record company's web server, so I guess it is.

Sheryl looks fit:

Clearly, this is before, not after.

Posted by Frank Steele on July 8, 2004 in Sheryl Crow | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Sheryl Crow at Alpe d'Huez:

Comments

Sorry to post this under what may be your least Tour-related comment to date, but I wanted to say I'm completely enjoying this blog. It's allowing me to stay updated on Tour happenings (I am without cable, and the internet streams are apparently under high demand). Your commentary is informed and interesting and your links are great. Thanks for that.

Jarrett

Posted by: Jarrett at Jul 8, 2004 8:07:54 AM

I heard she climbed the Alpe d'Huez in 90 minutes...

Posted by: ben at Jul 8, 2004 8:51:41 AM

I clicked a link to this site hoping to read some thoughts by actual fans of cycling, only to be greeted by a picture of Sheryl Crow at the very beginning. If I wanted to know about her I'll watch MTV or read Rolling Stone. The biggest disappointment in the Tour this year has been the National Enquirer type of fascination with the stars. After seeing all the Hollywoodesque hype surrounding the event now, I hope cycling NEVER becomes mainstream. While I found the rest of the page entertaining, I can't help but feel a little more jaded.

Posted by: darrell at Jul 8, 2004 8:59:16 AM

Darrell,

Just bad luck on your part; this is the 2nd picture of Sheryl Crow ever on the site (and it just had its 1st birthday). Compared to OLN these days, this is practically a No-Crow Zone.

She'll scroll off the front page sometime later today or tomorrow.

I get an unbelievable number of queries for some combination like "Sheryl Crow + Lance Armstrong".

Best,
Frank

Posted by: Frank at Jul 8, 2004 9:09:47 AM

Relax Ben,,,, It's the greatest race in the world,,,nothing can diminish it's light. I'm not hearing anymore talk about Sheryl than his ex-wife. Anyway, it's a story being told,,,,relax.

Posted by: Stacy at Jul 8, 2004 9:15:11 AM

Sorry. I didn't mean to come off so grouchy. Too early in the morning perhaps. Unfortunately I chose this forum to vent. However, every stage I have watched and most reports I have read contain some reference to Crow. To each their own, but I'm tired of being swamped daily with all the superficial hype. What caused the 15 rider pile-up that just happened? Who knows, but we have this great shot of Robin Williams talking to Lance. But I'll take all the advice, relax, and try to tune it out. Who needs another whiner?

Posted by: darrell at Jul 8, 2004 9:38:42 AM

Lance, himself, once made the comment that if a cyclist wants to win, the Tour is "no place for wives or girlfriends." I think Sheryl should go home. I am tired of hearing about her and seeing her, too.

We French and Swiss cycle up Alpe d'Huez and Mt. Ventoux regularly. We can't beat Lance, but we can do it without problems.

Posted by: Lily at Jul 16, 2004 1:13:21 AM

Was Sheryl Crow Responsible?

I noticed in the OLN coverage just before Lance Armstrong started his L'Alpe d'Huez time trial that Sheryl Crow was in the right-side rear passenger seat.

Did she reach out and grab the motorcyclist’s arm and if she was responsible why did she do it? See below for a race note from Rupert Guinness as reported on the VeloNews website.

Armstrong leaves rivals gasping on L'Alpe d'Huez
By Rupert Guinness
Special to VeloNews
This report filed July 21, 2004

Race note
U.S. Postal fell foul of Tour de France officials after an incident involving their team car and a motorcyclist filming the 16th stage time trial here on Wednesday.

Officials acted after witnesses reported the U.S. Postal team car driving dangerously and blocking in a bike filming Armstrong on the mountain run.

One of the passengers sitting in the back of the car is reported to have seized the motorcyclist's arm.

Tour officials took action, demoting U.S. Postal from the front to the back of the race caravan following the peloton for Thursday's 17th stage.

Posted by: Stephen at Jul 23, 2004 10:23:31 AM

Details on the commissaire's action:

Bruyneel claims he had arranged with Jean-Marie Leblanc to ride directly behind Armstrong, to help part the crowds until the barriers started.

Bruyneel says this was discussed with French TV, but when Armstrong took off, the moto took that spot, so Bruyneel passed him to resume his preferred position.

Apparently, Johan blew off the sanction; he says he took Leblanc directly to the judges, who agreed he had special circumstances because of the agreemeent, but the president of the judges council wouldn't overturn the decision.

Posted by: Frank at Jul 23, 2004 10:40:07 AM