July 25, 2004
Stage 20: Boonen tops the sprinters, Armstrong wraps 6th Tour
Tom Boonen of Quick Step took his 2nd stage win of the 2004 Tour, beating the surviving sprinters over the line on the Champs-Elysees.
Boonen got a great lead-out from teammate Stefano Zanini after teammate Paolo Bettini spent several laps animating a 10-man breakaway that gained 40 seconds on the Champs-Elysees.
Lotto-Domo's Robbie McEwen will take the green jersey with a 4th place finish on the day.
Stage 20 Top 10:
1) Tom Boonen (QuickStep)
2) Jean-Patrick Nazon (AG2R)
3) Danilo Hondo (Gerolsteiner)
4) McEwen (Lotto-Domo)
5) Zabel (T-Mobile)
6) Casper (Cofidis)
7) Stuart O'Grady (Cofidis)
8) Baden Cooke (fdjeux.com)
9) Massimiliano Mori (Domina Vacanze)
10) De Groot (Rabobank)
In the GC, Lance Armstrong has closed out his unprecedented win number 6. His mother is on hand to see it in a beautiful yellow dress, Robin Williams and Sheryl Crow are there, and a big enthusiastic crowd is there to see it. Also on hand are Will Smith and Jada Pinkett-Smith.
Richard Virenque has also set an all-time record, with his 7th King of the Mountains title.
Awarded the overall combativity prize for the entire Tour is also Virenque, so Quick Step has quite a day going. Filippo Simeoni doesn't finish empty-handed, as he was named the most aggressive rider of the final stage.
The white jersey goes to Russia's 13th-placed Vladimir Karpets of Illes Balears-Banesto, who won this contest last year with Denis Menchov.
The overall Top 10:
1) Lance Armstrong (US Postal)
2) Andreas Kloden (T-Mobile) at 6:19
3) Ivan Basso (CSC) at 6:40
4) Jan Ullrich (T-Mobile) at 8:50
5) Jose Azevedo (US Postal) at 14:30
6) Francisco Mancebo (Illes Balears-Banesto) at 18:01
7) Georg Totschnig (Gerolsteiner) at 18:27
8) Carlos Sastre (CSC) at 19:51
9) Levi Leipheimer (Rabobank) at 20:12
10) Oscar Pereiro (Phonak) 22:54
Complete overall standings are available over at RoadCycling.com.
T-Mobile goes home without a stage win, but did win the team standings, ahead of US Postal, then CSC.