April 20, 2005
Gerolsteiner's Wrolich takes TdG stage 2; Armstrong plays sprinter
Just as he did last year, Lance Armstrong figured in the finish in downtown Rome today.
Last year, Armstrong won in a bike toss, coming off the wheel of Ivan Dominguez.
This year, Gerolsteiner's Peter Wrolich took the sprint, with Saunier Duval's Manuel Quinziato 2nd, and Armstrong 3rd.
Team Discovery Channel powered through downtown Rome on the finishing circuits, closing down Saunier Duval-Prodir's Andrea Tafi, who was caught with about 5 miles/8 kilometers to ride. Tafi will take the early King of the Mountains lead for his trouble.
Preliminary top 10:
1) Peter Wrolich (Gerolsteiner)
2) Manuel Quinziato (Saunier Duval Prodir)
3) Lance Armstrong (Discovery)
4) Ivan Fanelli (LPR)
5) Bobby Julich (CSC)
6) Sven Krauss (Gerolsteiner)
7) Tom Danielson (Discovery)
8) David Canada (Saunier Duval-Prodir)
9) Juan Jose Haedo (Colavita)
10) Tim Larkin (Kodak Gallery/Sierra Nevada)
Wrolich takes the overall lead, so will start tomorrow's TT last. Health Net's Greg Henderson leads the sprint classification.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Gerolsteiner's Wrolich takes TdG stage 2; Armstrong plays sprinter: