« Open thread: Armstrong press conference | Main | Hamilton receives two-year suspension »

April 18, 2005

It's official: Armstrong to retire after Tour

BBC SPORT | Armstrong to bow out after Tour

ThePaceline.com | Press conference full transcript

Lance Armstrong made it official on Monday: He'll bow out of pro cycling after this year's Tour de France.

That leaves just three stage races — this week's Tour de Georgia, the Dauphiné Libéré in June, and the Tour in July — in Armstrong's pro career, which has included 6 Tour victories, a world championship, and a number of other pro wins.

“If I was to win it this year, I would be the oldest champion in modern history and my dream is to go out on top.”

“We'll see if I can do it - no promises.”

“But this will be a different year for the Tour with Jan Ullrich looking better and a host of young riders coming up.”

Armstrong also said he might race again in the US after the Tour de Georgia, but suggested it would be more like his impromptu appearance in Ojai last week, where he showed up at a regional race.

Armstrong said he wants to spend more time with his children and rocker-girlfriend Sheryl Crow.

“My children are my biggest supporters but at the same time they are the ones who told me it's time to come home.”

Armstrong saddles up for the Tour de Georgia tomorrow through Sunday.

Also:

sportinglife.com | Armstrong's career highlights

Posted by Frank Steele on April 18, 2005 in Lance Armstrong, Top Stories | Permalink

Comments

Viva Lance
Long live Lance Armstrong

Posted by: Gerald at Apr 18, 2005 8:58:31 PM

lance is a spiggin legelnd

Posted by: tom at Apr 20, 2005 12:21:23 AM

Shame to see you go Lance. Let's have #7 first!!

Posted by: Chris Hogan at Apr 20, 2005 4:44:34 AM

I was a bit disappointed that Lance didn't mention Kik or acknowlege her contribution to his success in his retirement announcement. Cheryl has only been on the scene for a little over a year. Kik has been there, in one way or another, for over 4. At the least, he could have mentioned her.

Lance is still a great inspiration for millions of Cancer survivors and Cyclist around the world. I hope America has fallen in love with the sport rather than just him. It would be a shame to lose the momentum he has created for American cycling. I wish I were 10 years younger and riding at the level I am riding now. I could forsee myself attempting to turn pro in the near future.

At any rate Lance, we hope to see you pop up in one of our club rides in rural South Carolina.

R.

Posted by: Rydiqule at Apr 21, 2005 1:05:08 PM

The best rider ever exist,with tons off mental power and a smart riding.

Posted by: Sérgio Tomaz at Apr 21, 2005 2:37:01 PM

This year my wife and I will be takin the train from Zurich to Mulhouse France (1.30 min) where Lance will arrive. Can't wait to see the legend in what may be a legendary Tour--if he actually wins.

Posted by: george richards at Apr 21, 2005 4:00:14 PM

at the moment im doing a project on Lance Armstrong during my time doing this I have found a lot about Lance Armstrong he is an amazing athlete who has over come so much

Posted by: Frank Lawrence at Mar 31, 2006 11:17:48 PM