May 30, 2005
Savoldelli seals Giro, Petacchi takes final stage
No big surprises on Sunday, as Discovery Channel's Paolo Savoldelli held his race lead into Milan, and Alessandro Petacchi took one last sprint win for his 4th of the Giro.
With Lampre's Gilberto Simoni 2nd by 28 seconds, the Giro saw its closest finish since 1976.
Savoldelli told procycling.com he doesn't see himself as Discovery Channel's next Tour de France threat:
“We have another young rider on the team, Popovych, who is the future of the team for the Tour,” Savoldelli said. “The team believes they can build him up and win the Tour once Lance retires. That’s fine with me. The Tour is a special kind of race and I’ve already been there a few times.”
Big news of the Giro:
- The ProTour appears to have kicked the race up a notch, as the required participation by all 20 ProTour teams led to one of the most exciting and competitive Italian tours of the last 10 years.
- Danilo Di Luca showed he can develop into more than a classics rider, as he contended right up to the race's last weekend.
- Ivan Basso had an up-and-down Giro, getting knocked out of overall contention, but coming back to win two straight stages. His fitness is clearly excellent.
- Congratulations to Dave Zabriskie, who took a TT stage for the Americans.
- Savoldelli will be a tremendous asset to Lance Armstrong at the Tour -- he and Azevedo can climb with almost anybody, certainly any of the GC contenders.
- José Rujano is a name to remember: he was able to ride away from anybody at will anytime he wanted to during the Giro.
- Paolo Bettini: Points jersey
- José Rujanoz: Climber's jersey
- Stefano Zanini: Intergiro jersey
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Savoldelli seals Giro, Petacchi takes final stage:
» It's a wrap for Giro d' Italia's "As the Wheel Turns" soap opera from Biking Bis - Bicycle Touring and More
The three-week running of the Italian soap opera -- the Giro d' Italia -- ended on Sunday.
Casual viewers will note that Italian Paolo Savoldelli of Discovery ... [Read More]
Tracked on May 31, 2005 1:36:40 AM