« Serrano takes the stage; more GC jumble | Main | Race headline of the day »

July 22, 2005

Stage 19 profile

Stage 19
Click through for large profile from
cyclingnews.com

Today, the riders climb up to the Col des Pradeaux, then gradually descend to Le Puy-en-Velay.

It's 153.5 km, with 2 intermediate sprints, 3 4th-Category climbs, and the 2nd Category Pradeaux.

A lot of riders will be looking to rest up for the long time trial tomorrow, which favors the breakaways. It's also the last chance for riders to make up ground in the overall classification. It seems like the sprinters are all content to wait for Sunday's stage in Paris to finalize the green jersey, but any of them would be happy to grab a few sprint points at an intermediate sprint.

Jersey Update:

Lance Armstrong

Thor Hushovd

Michael Rasmussen

Yaroslav Popovych

Posted by Frank Steele on July 22, 2005 in Stage profiles | Permalink

Comments

O/T, but I am enjoying the Eurosport commentary more than I expect. I really appreciate how they read and respond to viewer/listener questions on the air.

Anyone know who the American-sounding lady is that joins them in the broadcast booth to discuss tactics and share anecdotes from the peloton?

Posted by: noelle at Jul 22, 2005 10:06:00 AM

Anyone else catch Phil and Paul chatting about the old French castle just before the end?

Paul mentioned that it was built in the 13th century, was knocked down and rebuilt in the 15th century, and finally was sacked by the Huguenots.

To which Phil deadpans "I never did trust those guys."

I laughed so hard I was crying.

Posted by: jrodenbiker at Jul 22, 2005 11:24:14 AM

Yeah, that was a great line. Every Tour Liggett comes up with one or two lines that are just pants-wettingly funny - last year it was the "little boy in the blue jersey" line for me.

And as we know, so much of medieval French history was a result of the struggle between the Hugues and the Hugue-nots. :P

Posted by: EWM at Jul 22, 2005 3:41:47 PM

I like to laugh at some of the images they show. Like the extreme close up of Landis' butt hanging on the end of his seat during his time trial. What made someone think that would be a good picture?

; ]

Posted by: Devans at Jul 23, 2005 10:07:21 AM

What do the riders who finish in the top 10 get once the Tour De France is over? Do they get some payment for coming in 1st, 2nd, etc? What other prizes do they get?

Is there a web site I can go to so I can see this information?

If anyone wants to just E-mail me directly with this information, please do. It will be appreciated. mlausa@hotmail.com

Michael Averbach