« It's official: London start for 2007 Tour | Main | Rumor mill was right: Armstrong, Crow split »

January 26, 2006

Bode Miller: Armstrong, Bonds 'knowingly cheating'

Rolling Stone | Bode Miller: Speed Freak

Downhill bad boy Bode Miller doesn't buy Lance Armstrong's drug denials. He told Rolling Stone the drug testing and enforcement rules just don't work:

"The drug-regulation system is a weird, bad system, and all I'm asking is that we talk about it," he says. "Right now, if you want to cheat, you can: Barry Bonds and those guys are just knowingly cheating, but there's all sorts of loopholes. If you say it has to be knowingly, you do what Lance [Armstrong] and all those guys do, where every morning their doctor gives them a box of pills and they don't ask anything, they just take the pills. Yeah, they're not knowingly taking any substance, they don't fucking ask what it is, but they are sure as shit taking it." [Both Bonds and Armstrong have denied such allegations.]

Miller says he is himself clean, and that some of what appears to be standoffishness is self-preservation, as he fears someone might frame him for performance-enhancing drugs.

The last thing Miller said that got him in trouble was that he has competed while hammered. We'll see where this one goes.

Also:

ESPN.com | Bode to mag: Bonds, Lance 'knowingly cheating'

Posted by Frank Steele on January 26, 2006 in Doping, Lance Armstrong, Top Stories | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Bode Miller: Armstrong, Bonds 'knowingly cheating':

Comments

I don't know enough about Bode, to understand this comment and lashing out. However, when he was on 60 minutes, he was all humble, one purposed in life is to ski, not about the money. In contrast, you see this response, drunk while performing, and I can't imagine why an ambassador of the sport would be allowed to compete at the olympics.

Posted by: DL Byron at Jan 29, 2006 12:45:08 PM

Bodie is Just flat out honest!!!

Posted by: yani at Feb 1, 2006 4:07:33 AM

A complex issue, commented on by a compex man. He probably knows more than most about what has and hasn't happened between trainers and pro athletes. The Bonds case seems self-evident. The Armstrong case is tougher, but in either case, I have not seen the libel lawyers after Miller. They will not want to test the "truth" of Miller's views in court (truth is complete defense to libel).

Posted by: harold burbank at Feb 2, 2006 2:00:15 PM

I think Bode Miller should keep his mouth shut. Other than how to make a really good stiff drink, I doubt that he knows anything about Lance Armstrong. It is unfortunate that since he himself is not discipline enough to be a "real" athlete, he has been reduced to a jealous sore loser!

Posted by: Susan Krieger at Feb 14, 2006 11:00:19 AM

Bode Miller is a loud mouth idiot who showed his ass to the entire world. If he had just kept his mouth shut, He could have emerged from the olympics a hero regardless of his finishes but he obviously started to believe his own manufactured hype. It is sad because being a serious skier who has worrked in the industry for 20 plus years, I know the USA needs a real ski hero. Unfortunately this idot does not fit the bill. To slam Lance Armstrong with no proof of any worng doing is just ridiculous. Hey Bode-"Shut your mouth and go back to living in obscurity".

Posted by: Dan O'Connor at Feb 24, 2006 11:06:35 PM

Bode deserves his collapsing, wasted self but whatever fans he has left deserve much better.
His actions and words after his final race at the Torino Olympics made it clear that a spot was wasted for him on the Olympic team. The jerk doesn't even finish 12 of 15 races this winter, before the olympics? He mimicked a celebration after missing the gate, skiied off the course, then later told and interviewer he'd had a great time doing his thing at the local bar scene. Well Bode, we've seen enough of your way. Take a hike. Your sponsors are going to tell you that, too. You don't feel sorry for anyone, you damn drunk. Kids that looked up to you were either sickened or are saying "He may be a drunk, but I want to be JUST LIKE BODE!" You're really wasted if you're proud of that. Jerk.

Posted by: Hal Horn at Feb 26, 2006 3:26:27 AM

Posted by: Laura Wolters at Feb 27, 2006 10:37:52 AM

What does Bode really mean when he talks? Let me give you a lesson on translation.

He says: "I like to party."
He means: "I like to lose."

He says: "I did my best."
He means: "If the press calls me an underachiever, I better underachieve."

He says: "Lance is cheating."
He means: "I'm no where near as good as Lance."

He says: "Bonds is cheating."
He means: "I plan on losing in the Olympics."

He says: "The Olympics are not fun."
He means: "See, I told you I would lose in the Olympics."

He says: "I speak my mind."
He means: "I've got a huge pie hole."

He says: "I competed while hammered."
He means: "I take performance-hampering drugs to ensure I lose."

When Laura Wolters says: "He is hot. He's a typical badass. I think it's great that he speaks his mind and trains the way that he feels is true to himself."
She means: "If Bode isn't available, does anybody know any incarcerated deathrow inmates who want to marry me?"

Posted by: Slow Freddy at Feb 28, 2006 4:12:34 PM

Slow Freddy! You must be a professional journalist and should probably have the last word on this... but...

... I'm reminded of the old axiom (paraphrased) It's better to keep your mouth shut and have people think your an idiot than to open your mouth and prove it. Maybe no one ever told Bode that one as it would have served him well.

If he'd kept his mouth shut, the press might have applied another axiom that still waters run deep. In Bode's case it appears they may have just been still.

Posted by: ColnagoTOKEN at Mar 14, 2006 7:35:52 AM

To all of the "Bode Bashers" - -grow up and quit playing your ridiculous game! You know Bode is an awesome skiier! He is a work of art on skies! But because of these simple minded reporters and columnists that "expect" him to act the way you deem fit, he is ridiculed and put down. Bode is refreshing and honest - -and probably knows far more then what we care to admit about barry bonds or lance armstrong. Give me a break - -a few months ago - -lance and cheryl crowe were destined for each other then out of the blue they call it quits. Read between the lines people! stop blaming bode for his honesty. it is so pathetically sad how people pretend to know bode so well when he is winning - -and when he is not - -then reporters just make up ways to put him down!! GET OVER IT!!!!! To all of you asses who call yourselves reporters and columnists - -grow up - -can you look back on your own careers and say that you have won any world cups or olympic medals?

GO BODE!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE WHO YOU ARE AND ADMIRED FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: roz at Mar 18, 2006 12:13:14 PM

Miller is a discrace, plain and simple. Oh, I'm sorry; He's cool man!!! He's the honest rebel!! Give me a brake!! I really wanted to like him at the Olympics but it was just obvious that this guy was not even close to being prepared, worse yet didn't even care that he was terrible. He's the perfect example of someone who thinks they can live off reputation. He's just an embarrasment! Go have another drink loser!! I can gaurentee you one thing; Armstrong never rode the Tour drunk..What a joke!! The Ski industry definitly needs a hero but this guy is not even close!! Miller will soon fade away into a drunken haze. Good riddance!!

Posted by: dsaw at Mar 26, 2006 1:11:47 PM

So to eveyone who is cmmenting on Bode's lackluster performance at the Olympics I have a question for you... Have you ever ski raced in your life? Clearly no because if you had you would have some respect fot Bode. Ski racing is so far beyond a sport, you have to have a certain lifestyle to embrace it. Much more so than in baseball or bicycling, those sports test your ability to petal and swing a bat. Wow oh SO impressive.

On the other hand skiing is fighting for life on two tiny rickety boards flying down an icy track as fast as nature will allow. When you embrace ski racing you embrace that life is about taking risks but more importantly having a good time while doing it. Sure Bode made some dumb mistakes, but he fufilled his philosophy.

In addition, to everyone who is calling him a "loser", if you knew anything about the sport, you wuld know that the Olympics pale in comparison to the intensity of the fight for the world cup, which Bode won, the first american in many many years.

The funniest part about you all trying to bash him is that you try to compare him to barry bonds and lance armstrong, as if they're in his league. Thats cute.

Posted by: Anne D Pennington at May 10, 2007 7:37:58 PM

BODE B.S. MILLER has been playing in the snow so long his walnut-size brain has gone into hypothermia. I wish I had a 5 dollar bill for every test Lance went through for the 7 years he showed the World who the best damn bicyclist there ever was PERIOD! I would be able to buy Rhode Island with that kind of money.He undoubtedly is the world's most tested athlete. the french hate our guts. Why? Because we fought the War they were to chicken shit to fight against Hitler and every time they see us it's a reminder of their cowardice. If there is any cheating going on check the french labs who tried to screw Floyd Landis. Testosterone is no damn help until 48-72 hours after the injection and why pick one of the easiest drugs to test for?

Posted by: WESLEY WARREN at Jun 4, 2007 11:47:55 AM

Bode is a disgrace. He honestly doesn't seem to get it that in the U.S., no one cares how you do in the World Cup. In skiing, it's all about the Olympics.

I was thinking of him this summer when Michael Phelps won eight gold medals despite the intense media focus on him. The same spotlight was pointed at Bode in Turin and he cracked. And rather than look disappointed, he just didn't seem to care. It's bizarre.

I remember reading an article that before the 2004/5 World Cup season, in which Bode won the overall title, he trained like a maniac. Then, the summer before the 2005/6 World Cup/Olympic season, Bode admitted he didn't train as hard. Are you high? This the Olympics, moron! Wake up.

I was in Austria when the Austrians went 1-2-3 in the 2006 men's Olympic Slalom. The entire hotel was going crazy. And in interviews after the race, the racers were gushing about how thrilled they were to win an Olympic medal. And this is a country where the World Cup is as huge as baseball or football is in America.

God, I just want to smack Bode. I am still convinved to this day it's all because of his slacker, who-gives-a-rats-ass attitude that World Cup ski racing is no longer even televised in the U.S. The only way you can watch the races is on the internet. What a joke! They used to be shown on ABC's Wide World of Sports every Saturday. Now you're more likely to see some old fat fart racing at Deer Valley on tv.

Sad. Very, very sad.

Thanks for nothing, Bode.

Posted by: kjr at Sep 24, 2008 4:44:44 PM