« Where the investigation stands | Main | Another shoe for Astaná: Contador, Davis, Paulinho »

June 30, 2006

Web reaction to Black Friday banning

blog.myspace.com/kaiserjan

The genius behind the “Jan Ullrich myspace page” says the fun's over, and he's incredibly disappointed that Ullrich, who he loves for his class and humanity, has at the very least lied about his involvement with the Madrid clinic:

This is a disappointment on many levels for me, but it's a slap in the face to everyone who loves the sport, to every CAT racer out there grinding it out in Nowhereland for a place on a rickety plywood podium, and everyone who just gets out and rides.

If I'm going to cheer for anyone, I'm going to cheer for David Millar, who has been brutally honest about what he did, and is now trying to ride the Grand Boucle without anything in his bloodstream, unlike God-knows-how-many other riders in the peloton.

Thanks for reading, let's hope Jan and Ivan get themselves straightened out, and lets hope for the best Tour de France in 20 years.

rec.bicycles.racing | My own twisted vision ...

it is this collection of rights : rights to a presumption of innocence ; right to fair and free access to justice ; right to contradict the organs of state - these rights are being dismembered. By the press, the state, the ASO and UCI.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY - by the members of the public *especially in this forum* who think they have the moral qualifications to intuit truth, form judgments, castigate others, all without having enough knowledge to tie their own shoelaces.

This is turning into an event of mobocracy, with all kinds of actors of all spheres.
My opinion - the dopers (whoever they are) have done less damage to cycling that have all the above. Yeah - I suppose lots of you plan to burn the witches.

Posted by Frank Steele on June 30, 2006 in Jan Ullrich, Links, Tour de France 2006 | Permalink

Comments

I absolutely agree and cheer that "rec.bicycles.racing | My own twisted vision ..." analysis. Although he forgot the teams themselves since it's T-mobile that fired Jan. I really can't beleive this is happening.

Posted by: Scazza at Jun 30, 2006 10:20:14 AM

I dunno, I don't hold the court of public opinion to the same standard as the legal system. I understand very well the moral contortions people will go through to continue believing their heroes are innocent and I hope time will prove that they are -- but the fact is we judge things and situations all the time, every day without using a clinical standard of evidence. Not sure why this case should be any different.

Posted by: noelle at Jun 30, 2006 10:40:29 AM

Maybe another American will win with the 3 top dogs out. Between Lemond and Armstrong ... Could call this America's Race.

Posted by: CD at Jun 30, 2006 11:02:17 AM

That would help the sport over here anyway - I'm wondering how many Americans care with Lance out of the picture.

I'm starting to wonder if there will be a tour. After the riders refused to race in the Spanish event the other week, is it possible they would do that in the Tour? The timing just really sucks, why did it have to be forced on the eve of the Tour?

Posted by: noelle at Jun 30, 2006 1:38:23 PM

Cycling is not the only sport blighted by drugs, track and field athletics, for example, is another. Both these sports have made tremendous efforts to detect these cheats over recent years. Maybe it is time that the various sporting governing bodies reviewed how proven culprits are dealt with.

These sports people are often the role models of the children and youth of today and perhaps it time that a zero tolerance approach of a life time ban was introduced.

There seems to be a standard 2 year ban which, by the continued use of drugs in sport, clearly is not enough of a deterent.

Top sports professionals are today competing for tens/hundreds of thousands in prize money. If attempting to win this by cheating there may well be a valid case for criminal prosecution under laws of attempting to obtain money by deception and when drugs are taken with the collusion of teams, conspiracy to defraud.

Posted by: Ray Wilson at Jun 30, 2006 3:15:28 PM

I think the Tour is much more exciting with Lance out of the picture. And for once, there is a full spread of American contenders.

As for the doping issue: I assume that dedicated athletes will do whatever it takes to win this most difficult of all sporting contests. That's called competition. So what?

Posted by: Barry K at Jun 30, 2006 6:04:42 PM

Greed. It makes people who under average conditions would be honest, do things to get that money and success whatever the method. When I was racing, I never took anything on the banned substance list to perform above my ability. Supplements and vitamins don't count. Maybe that's why I never won a "big" event, but the little ones I did manage to cross the line first on, well, maybe they mean more to me because I was clean. Win on effort, not atificial means. It makes your career utterly false, and then what? Failure in the rest of your life? Maybe those enhanced riders would be better off bowling, or playing video games!

Posted by: Mel Serrano at Jul 5, 2006 4:50:25 PM