« Stage 18 on the road | Main | T-Mobile fax: Jan, you're fired »

July 21, 2006

Dude, whoa, Landis

I think lots of cellphone calls went like this yesterday morning, "dude, whoa, DUDE, Landis!" I was getting updates on the train, Pam had coworkers at her desk most of the morning, and Greg (a teammate, and cycling buddy) said his customers were calling him all morning saying things like, "that was OUTLANDIS!"

That incredible ride has the magic of transcending the avid fans to those who only watch it once a year -- I also saw instant messages light up with Landis exclamations. My neighbor was clearly "very excited" by the ride, asking Pam all kinds of questions and during a panel discussion yesterday at Webvisions, it was all I wanted to talk about!

My favorite quote was from Hinault referring to the ride, "I was bad yesterday but I’m the best and I’ll prove that today." It can work, it’s like a Hinault Coup (he's good, cause he was like me!)." And what Floyd said in his press conference, "you better drink some Coke, cause I'm going."

It was the best and most incredible ride I've ever seen. Dude, whoa, Landis!

So, who did you call? Was your phone ringing with Landis calls?

Posted by Byron on July 21, 2006 in Tour de France 2006 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Dude, whoa, Landis:

Comments

Only my bike nerd buddies said anything about it (and they were all very excited, of course). Almost all of my co-workers are Indian, and they're into Cricket if they're into anything at all. My other co-workers are Chinese and they have no life outside of work as far as I can tell.

Posted by: Fritz at Jul 21, 2006 1:27:47 PM

I called my buddy Masud. He's the one who first got me into cycling years ago. He's been working upwards of 100+ hours/week this summer between his job and his masters degree so he hasn't been following it as closely as before. When I called, I asked if he'd seen the stage and when he said no I told him to fake sick, go home right now, and watch it on tivo before anyone could ruin it for him. I got a phone call about 6 hours later that pretty much just consisted of him yelling - vive le tour!

Posted by: Mark at Jul 21, 2006 1:41:55 PM

not phone ringing, but lots of IMs.

Posted by: frank at Jul 21, 2006 2:05:51 PM

Some of the funniest comments I've seen regarding Floyd were over at Moveitfred's blog.

Posted by: Eric at Jul 21, 2006 2:38:47 PM

Most of my friends know that I'm a big Tour fan, I lived in Waterloo, Belgium as a kid, but none of them are big fans. I got several calls, and I had to beg them not to tell me what happened before I could go home and watch my TiVo'ed version of the live race start to finish.

It's been a big dent in my social life, but I've watched every minute of the live coverage so far. I just knew that as much as I enjoyed watching Armstrong dominate the race, that this would be one of the most interesting Tours in the last few years. Operation Puerto disappointed me, because I was looking forward to Ulrich and Basso duking it out, and maybe Vino having some impact on the overall, but the end result was awesome. One of the great Tours, and definitely no asterisk.

Posted by: Drew at Jul 22, 2006 9:09:26 PM