February 20, 2007
Haedo takes first CSC win at California Stage 2
It sure helps to have Jens Voigt and Stuart O'Grady setting up your sprint. Juan José Haedo, newly signed by Team CSC, found that out today as he took the Sacramento sprint finish by a very healthy margin in front of Luca Paolini of Liquigas and Thor Hushovd of Credit Agricole.
Haedo, the Argentinian sprinter who won two Tour of California stages for Toyota-United last year, notched his first victory for Team CSC with a beautiful burst to pull clear of a premium field of sprinters.
A three-man break of Credit Agricole's Christophe Laurent, Colavita's Irish national champion David McCann, and Priority Health's Omer Kem got a five minute gap and absorbed many of the day's bonuses, but they were ultimately captured before the pack reached Sacramento.
Danny Pate jumped across and tried to solo in as the pack approached McCann and Laurent, but he later admitted it was a mistake:
"It was way too windy for one guy," Pate said at the finish. "I hadn't done that run in before, and I was hoping for some trees, or something, some kind of windbreak, but it didn't happen ... It was just an opportunity that I decided to take that didn't work out."
Your Top 11 (in deference to Freddie Rodriguez)
1) Juan José Haedo, Argentina, Team CSC, 4:40:39
2) Luca Paolini, Italy, Liquigas, same time
3) Thor Hushovd, Norway, Credit Agricole, s.t.
4) Allan Davis, Australia, Discovery Channel, s.t.
5) Gerald Ciolek, Germany, T-Mobile, s.t.
6) Graeme Brown, Australia, Rabobank, s.t.
7) Greg Henderson, New Zealand, T-Mobile, s.t.
8) Ivan Dominguez, Cuba, Toyota United Pro, s.t.
9) Hilton Clarke, Australia, Navigators Insurance, s.t.
10) Paolo Bettini, Italy, Quick Step, s.t.
11) Fred Rodriguez, US, Predictor-Lotto, s.t.
I'm going to skip the GC, since almost 30 riders sit within 15 seconds of Levi Leipheimer, who still leads the overall by more than a second over Slipstream's Jason Donald and 5 seconds over Ben Jacques-Maynes of Priority Health.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Haedo takes first CSC win at California Stage 2: