July 16, 2008
Arvesen takes Stage 11
CSC-Saxo Bank's Kurt-Asle Arvesen took Stage 11 by outsprinting 2 of his breakaway companions to the line in Foix.
Amaël Moinard of Cofidis attacked up the slope of the day's biggest climb, and stayed away for about 50 kilometers, but he was no match for a classics-heavy breakaway that included Filippo Pozzato, Fabian Wegmann, Martin Elmiger, and Alessandro Ballan.
As he was reeled in, Elmiger attacked, followed by Arvesen. Alessandro Ballan bridged up, and Arvesen tried to attack, but Elmiger reeled him in, and the Norwegian sat up. Koos Moerenhout of Rabobank bridged, and the foursome rode into the final kilometer.
From a right-hander about 300 meters out, Arvesen wound it up from the first position, a tough place to be, sprinting near the left barrier. As he pulled to the middle of the road, Ballan came up on his right while Elmiger shot the gap on his left, and Elmiger was closing fast, but Arvesen held him off in a photo finish.
It's Arvesen's first-ever Tour stage win.
Stage 11 Results
1. Kurt-Asle Arvesen, CSC-Saxo Bank, Norway, in 3:58:13
2. Martin Elmiger, AG2R, Switzerland, same time
3. Alesssandro Ballan, Lampre, Italy, s.t.
4. Koos Moerenhout, Rabobank, Netherlands, @ :02
5. Alexandre Botcharov, Credit Agricole, Russia, @ :11
6. Pierrick Fedrigo, Bouygues Telecom, France, @ :14
7. Filippo Pozzato, Liquigas, Italy, same time
8. Benoit Vaugrenard, Française des Jeux, France, s.t.
9. Fabian Wegmann, Gerolsteiner, Germany, s.t.
10. Marco Velo, Milram, Italy, s.t.
11. Dmitriy Fofonov, Credit Agricole, Kazakhstan, s.t.
12. Amael Moinard, Cofidis, France, at :29
Hushovd also waves the Norwegian flag, taking the field sprint back at 14:51, ahead of Erik Zabel, and 3 ahead of Oscar Freire. Hushovd makes up 4 points on Oscar Freire in the green jersey hunt.
Overall standings are completely unchanged.
General Classification after Stage 11
1. Cadel Evans, Silence-Lotto, Australia
2. Fränk Schleck, CSC-Saxo Bank, Luxembourg @ :01
3. Christian Vande Velde, Garmin-Chipotle, USA, @ :38
4. Bernhard Kohl, Gerolsteiner, Austria @ :46
5. Denis Menchov, Rabobank, Russia, @ :57
6. Carlos Sastre, CSC-Saxo Bank, Spain, @ 1:28
7. Kim Kirchen, Columbia, Luxembourg, @ 1:56
8. Juan José Cobo, Saunier Duval, Spain, @ 2:10
9. Riccado Ricco, Saunier Duval, Italy, @ 2:29
10. Vladimir Efimkin, AG2R-La Mondiale, Russia, @ 2:32
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Arvesen takes Stage 11: