July 07, 2009
Tour de TwitterLance Armstrong has been one of the top celebrities to adopt Twitter, alongside Stephen Fry, Ashton Kutcher (I almost typed “Astana Kutcher”), and Barack Obama.
I've developed quite a list of riders, journalists, bloggers, and photographers in preparation for the Tour, and thought I would share it with you.
I started with Carlton Reid's massive, 600+ strong list of “Bike Trade Tweeps”. As I've found more, I've been adding them. I left off a few that appear inactive, like @carlossastre, who has nearly 4,000 followers awaiting his first tweet (what pressure!); likewise Denis Menchov and Robert Gesink, and a few fakes.
Also, these are all in English. Please send me additions, either on Twitter (@TdFblog) or by commenting this post. Thanks!
- @TeamAstana : The official team ID
- @lancearmstrong : The 7-time Tour winner
- @johanbruyneel : Team director Johan Bruyneel
- @levileipheimer : Levi Leipheimer (He finally lost the underscore)
- @TeamSlipstream : The official team Twitter feed
- @Vaughters : Team Director Jonathan Vaughters (Newly unshackled from the official team Twitter ID)
- @dzabriskie : David Zabriskie
- @christianvdv : Christian Vande Velde
- @Bradwiggins : Bradley Wiggins
- @thedpate : Danny Pate
- @allencolim : Team physiologist Allen Lim
- @TeamColumbiaHTC : Team updates
- @ghincapie : George Hincapie
- @mickrogers : Michael Rogers
- @markrenshaw1 : Mark Renshaw
- @isleofmanhood : “Cav” (??)
- @cadelofficial : Cadel Evans
- @wegelius: Silence-Lotto's Charlie Wegelius, author of my two favorite rider tweets of the Tour so far
Cervelo Test Team
- @stevendejongh : Steven De Jongh
- @laurenstendam : Laurens Ten Dam
- @bicyclingmag : Official Bicycling feed
- @julietmacur : NYTimes Tour reporter Juliet Macur
- @velonews : VeloNews official feed
- @cyclingweekly : Cycling Weekly
- @cyclesportmag : UK's CycleSport magazine
- @cyclingnewsfeed : CyclingNews official feed
- @neilroad : Neil Browne of ROAD Magazine
- @eurohoody : Andrew Hood of VeloNews
- @rupertguinness : Australia's Rupert Guinness
- @johnwilcockson : VeloNews correspondent emeritus
- @bonnie_d_ford : Bonnie D. Ford, ESPN's Tour reporter
- @jeremyschaap : Jeremy Schaap, ESPN reporter
- @vscycling : the official feed of the US Tour TV network
- @philliggett : Phil Liggett
- @paulsherwen : Paul Sherwen
- @bobkeroll : Head schlug Bob Roll
- @h2o007 : Craig Hummer
- @RobbieVentura : Robbie Ventura
- @GWcom : Graham Watson
- @lizkreutz : Liz Kreutz, who's been photographing Lance Armstrong's comeback
- @kwc - Ken Conley of Spare Cycles
Pros not racing this year
- @allandavis27 : Allan Davis, the 181st rider in the 2009 Tour
- @ivanbasso : Ivan Basso
- @hornerakg : Chris Horner
- @robbiehunter : South African sprinter Robbie Hunter
- @mcewenrobbie : Katusha's Robbie McEwen
- @janibrajkovic : Astana's Jani Brajkovic
- @TdFblog : That's me!
- @cyclingfans - Pete Geyer of CyclingFans
- @cyclelicious - Fritz at Cyclelicious
- @steephill - Steve from Steephill.TV<
- @_gavia_ - Gavia from Steephill.TV
- @bikehugger - Main feed for Bike Hugger
- @TDFLanterne - Nancy Toby's TdF Lanterne Rouge
- @lambsimon - Simon Lamb of La Gazzetta dello Bici
- @cyclingfansanon - cycling fans anonymous.com
- @cyclocosm - Cosmo from Cyclocosm
Posted by Frank Steele on July 7, 2009 in About the Tour, Andy Schleck, Bradley Wiggins, Cadel Evans, Carlos Sastre, Chris Horner, Christian Vande Velde, Danny Pate, Dave Zabriskie, George Hincapie, Ivan Basso, Janez Brajkovic, Kurt-Asle Arvesen, Lance Armstrong, Levi Leipheimer, Mark Cavendish, Michael Rogers, Robbie Hunter, Robbie McEwen, Tour news, Web/Tech | Permalink
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Tour de Twitter:
I think active one for Carlos Sastre is @carlos_sastre
Posted by: mark at Jul 6, 2009 1:27:26 PM
Good list -- I'll tweet it and link to it :-) THanks for the shout out.
Posted by: Fritz at Jul 6, 2009 3:40:30 PM
@JakesJournal blogs/tweets/works for Garmin -- he's traveling through France with Team Garmin this week and tweeting every minute of it.
Thanks for compiling this list!
Posted by: Kyle at Jul 7, 2009 3:49:22 PM
Hey thanks very much for the plug. Its a great tour de france already isnt it. take care simon
Posted by: Simon Lamb at Jul 8, 2009 12:50:38 PM
This might come in handy:
Here is what I have don't see here:
KennyvanHummel Kenny but only wifi connect
nrctou09 Team Skil Shamano lists who uses
isleofmanhood is fake markrenshaw1 confirmed and twitted for the fake to stop and delete the account. I don't think Cav has one. There is a markcavendish2 with 640 followers but no tweets ever.
Hope this helps. I know it isn't much!
Posted by: Anita Weld at Jul 20, 2009 5:33:27 AM
Robbie Hunter is racing this year..... Just seen him in Prologue. @bradwiggins hasn't posted for a month. Has he given up?
Posted by: Mamrk at Jul 3, 2010 12:32:40 PM
Kind of upset from stage 1 comment from broadcaster Phil Leggett.While near the front of the peloton, he had the nerve to call Yohann Gene of Europcar a "colored rider".This is the 2011 Tour,not 98yrs ago.There are more African American and/or people of color that have been following this sport for many many years.I for one have been a fan for well over 30yrs and consider myself an avid cyclist.I feel the remark was made in poor taste and all riders from all countries deserve an apology.Yohann is a French rider and that's all that needed to be said at that point.C'mon Phil..I thought you were a better man than that.
Posted by: Cash at Jul 5, 2011 3:17:42 PM